Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Book News

No .... not the book I'm writing on Leah.  That is still a work very much in progress!  I'd say I'm about 20% done .... with another 60% more writing to do, then 10% editing and 10% publishing.  But I am super duper blessed to have a very good friend I have known since high school who has done editing work before and she has offered to edit for me.  : )

But a few months ago I was approached by someone involved in getting a book together written by bereaved parents for bereaved parents.  You see, the hospital or funeral home will give you these cheesy brochures and booklets with stock photos of distraught people on the cover.  And these pieces of literature are supposed to get you through your grief.  These posed photographs and 'rules of grief' written by a psychologist somewhere are supposed to make you feel like you're going to be OK - but they don't ever attempt to say they understand what you're going through when you lose a young child.  

That's where the idea for this book comes in.  The creator of the book wanted to make a collection of stories from bereaved parents on how they dealt with their grief and what the whole process meant for them.  

So I wrote up a little 2,000 word piece and submitted it.  Then I waited, and waited, and waited ............ and eventually thought maybe my piece had been left on the cutting room floor.  
But then last week I got my final draft for approval and the word that our story will be included!

A website for the book is being created right now, as is a cover design, and the eBook may be available very soon, as in: 2 weeks or so.  I will be sure to post links to everything as soon as I have them.  

But I'm very happy to contribute to the project: to share our story and a little piece of Leah's life.  We are the only EB family represented - but for such a rare disease to be included in a book like this is a big step in raising awareness on EB.  
And on EB Awareness Week - I thought it'd be a fitting time to share the news.  

4 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Meg:
What wonderful news. I will be waiting patiently to get my hands on this book.
Just think Leah's story will also educate people about EB too.
Love you Meg. Love Mom XOXOXO

Jen said...

that is wonderful news! I can't wait to see and read this book! xoxo

Once A Mother said...

how wonderful!

Holly said...

Yeah, those brochures sure don't cut it. I'm glad to hear about the book

Related Posts with Thumbnails